Mac Oil Price Widget
Because there doesn’t seem to be a good, simple way to track oil prices on the Mac dashboard anymore since the previous widget I used quit working, I whipped up a quick little widget that allows me to monitor the price of Crude Oil on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It uses Bloomberg Energy as it’s information source and updates each time you show the dashboard.
- Version 2.4 was released on November 16th, 2012. It addressed a few more issues arising from the data change, and added the ability to click the price and see a full report on the energy market.
- Version 2.3 was released on November 2nd, 2012. It addressed a change in data format that was resulting in bad data being displayed.
- Version 2.2 was released on February 8th, 2012. It addressed a small bug that resulted in the negative symbol continuing to be displayed when the price was down (not necessary because the widget says Up or Down).
- Version 2.1 was released on February 1st, 2012. It addressed some bugs in 2.0 that would cause inaccurate data to be show as far as whether prices were up or down, and by what percentage.
- Version 2.0 was released on January 25th, 2012. It was completely rewritten – like, I didn’t even look at the old code – and uses Bloomberg Energy as it’s information source. The display was also simplified – I really didn’t care about the chart in the old version, so the new version prominently displays the price and how much it’s changed.
- Version 1.0 was released on June 25th, 2011. It used Yahoo finance as the backend and stopped functioning shortly thereafter.