So I was recently helping a client with an issue in MySQL where a migration failed to transfer the full contents of some fields. This amounted to a little over 1% of the total messages transferred. In doing some research, we discovered that the one thing every message had in common was the presence of multi-byte (high unicode) characters. In many cases, this was due to a user pasting some text from Microsoft Word.
So this is something I’ve been meaning to write for awhile now.
It’s time we had a talk about Facebook.
I was an early adopter of Facebook. Not as early as some, but before it was open to everyone. Back when it was a social network for college students and you needed a .edu address to join. Back when you still had to choose a “network” (I think I’m still technically in the Auburn network somewhere buried down in my settings somewhere). I’ve been on Facebook probably more than 10 years at this point.
But now, I’ve finally decided to call it (mostly) quits on Facebook.